The University of Ghana hereby, invites applications from suitably qualified persons for the position of Chief Information Technology Officer (CITO) for the University of Ghana, to take effect from 1st August, 2020.
POSITION: Chief Information Technology Officer (CITO)
REPORTING TO: Pro Vice-Chancellor, Research, Innovation and Development
Provide vision and leadership for developing and implementing Information Technology (IT) initiatives to enhance teaching, learning and research in the University. The CITO will also lead in planning and implementing administrative information systems to support and improve cost effectiveness and business development in a constantly changing, competitive educational environment.
Strategic Management & Administration
- Provide strategic and tactical planning, development, evaluation, and coordination of the information and technology systems for the University including all its Colleges, campuses and Regional Learning Centres.
- Ultimately accountable for the management of multiple information and communications systems and projects, and ensures the continuous delivery and operation of integrated systems to support teaching, learning, research and administrative information systems.
- Responsible for coordination, facilitation, and consultation with all University management staff on information and communications technology and business systems initiatives.
- Proactively participate with other members of University’s senior management teams at the central administration and at College level in developing and executing strategic plans to optimize the use of information technology in support of teaching, learning, research and administrative activities of the University.
- Participate in policy and decision making at executive management level regarding resource allocation and future direction and control of proposed information systems.
- Oversee the development of policies, programmes and schedules including privacy and security oversight for academic, administrative and financial information processing and computer services to meet the University of Ghana’s goals and objectives.
- Develop, direct and manage all computing and information technology strategic plans of the University.
- Advise Senior Management on strategic systems conversions and integration in support of institutional goals and objectives and oversee the development of the University’s technology investments.
- Oversee the design and facilitate integration of sound IT architecture, technology and standards, and best practices for the University of Ghana.
- Ensure the identification and installation of appropriate IT infrastructure and services to support administrative functions and enhance teaching, learning and research.
- Interact with senior decision makers on internal and external operations that are impacted by the capture, storage, processing and dissemination of information.
- Develop, coordinate, guide and maintain IT systems strategic and operational plans in support of the overall University mission and strategy. These plans will define a vision for meeting current and future information and technology needs for the University, while ensuring alignment and integration of IT with the overall mission and values of the University.
- Develop and maintain enterprise systems architecture, defining standards and protocols for data exchange, software, and interconnectivity of network information systems.
- Participate as an integral member in the strategic planning process of the University.
- Provide advice on evaluation, selection, implementation and maintenance of information systems, ensuring appropriate investment in strategic and operational systems. Negotiate all IT acquisition contracts, soliciting involvement and participation of other management team members as appropriate.
- Provide responsive advice, counsel, education and service to the University concerning IT issues and trends in the IT industry.
- Communicate IT plans, policies and technology trends throughout the organization, including management groups and professional staff.
- Determine pertinent information required by management in making effective decisions and ensure that the gathering, processing, distribution and use of this information occurs in a timely, accurate and cost-effective manner through on-going review and education programmes at executive, management and user levels.
- Promote and oversee relationships between the University’s IT resources and external entities (e.g. government, vendors, researchers, auditors, and other organizations).
- Approve, coordinate, and control all projects related to selection, acquisition, development, and installation of major information systems for the University.
- Develop and maintain an appropriate organizational structure capable of supporting the information needs of operating entities through appropriate information technology.
- Develop and maintain corporate IT policies and standards relating to the acquisition, implementation, and operation of information and communication technology systems.
- Negotiate IT service level agreements with user organizations and monitors IT systems performance to assure service levels are being met.
- Research and evaluate alternatives for the enhancement or re-engineering of IT.
- Develop, coordinate and manage the incorporation of enhancements to and re-engineering of University systems, in keeping with the needs and objectives of the University.
- Provide quality service to end users in needs analysis, solution recommendation, vendor selection, implementation, training, and post-installation support.
- Ensure that enterprise information systems operate according to internal standards, external regulatory standards, and legal requirements.
- Develop and enforce policy and procedures to ensure the protection of the University’s IT assets and the integrity, security and privacy of information maintained by the University.
- Develop and maintain a University-wide business recovery plan to ensure timely and effective restoration of IT services in the event of a disaster.
- Play an active role in the recruitment, development, motivation and retention of staff of the University of Ghana Computing Systems. This shall be accomplished through the consistent practice of sound human resource management concepts, thereby achieving teamwork, employee security, mutual respect, maintenance of the highest level of professionalism and a stake in the University’s success.
- Ensure that appropriate training programmes for the organization are in place to attract, retain and develop the key personnel required to support information services.
- Develop and maintain the annual operating and capital budgets for University information and technology systems operations. Responsible for monitoring IT activities and costs as related to the overall utilization of resources required to meet operational requirements.
- Maintain contact with IT suppliers and maintain knowledge of current technology, equipment, prices and terms of agreements to minimize the investment required to meet established service levels. Evaluate alternatives, perform appropriate cost benefit analysis, and recommend solutions that minimize costs commensurate with acceptable risks.
- Review the University’s hardware and software acquisition and maintenance contracts, soliciting involvement and participation of other management team members as appropriate. Develop, where appropriate, proposals for the purchasing or leasing of hardware, software, maintenance and telecommunication services.
Minimum Education & Experience:
- A good first degree and a Masters’ Degree in Computer Science/Information Systems and Business Management or a related field.
- A minimum of ten (10) years progressive experience in management or executive leadership positions with emphasis on prior experience leading enterprise-wide system implementations and can demonstrate experience in collaborating with corporate subsidiaries, divisions and departments.
- Professional certification in ITSM or PMP
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
• An accomplished relationship builder, with strategic thinking capabilities and the ability to solve complex problems
• Effective leadership skills with expertise in the areas of interpersonal relations, planning, collaboration and issue analysis
• Working knowledge of technologies, enterprise systems and their applications; network systems and applications; relational data base systems
• Understanding of business processes and operations, college-level academic environment and the possibilities and limits of technologies
• Working knowledge of grants and contracts, budgeting, resource management processes, operational effectiveness principles and decision-making tools
• Excellent project management skills
• Able to communicate well with stakeholders and at all levels
• Excellent planning, organising and presentation skills
• Able to lead and work as part of a team, solution orientated, proactive and motivated with good time management skills
• Excellent people management skills (coaching, mentoring, performance management)
• Demonstrated ability to create an environment that provides constituent-centered technology services and support
• Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
The person appointed as Chief Information Technology Officer shall hold office for a period of four years and is eligible for re-appointment.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
An applicant is required to submit the complete application pack to the Registrar, University of Ghana, P. O. Box LG25, Legon, Accra, Ghana (Hard copy); or firstname.lastname@example.org (Soft copy).
The application pack should contain the following:
i. Completed application form for Senior Level Administrative Positions (UAB Form 1C) to be downloaded from the University’s website at https://www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd;
ii. An up to date Curriculum Vitae and copies of relevant academic and/or professional certificates; and,
iii. A statement of about 2,500 words (not more than five pages) indicating how one intends to use the period in office to address relevant issues that will ensure that the University achieves its mission and vision. The UG strategic plan can be downloaded at http://www.ug.edu.gh/pad/publication/ug-strategic-plan.
Further information about the University of Ghana may be found on the university website at www.ug.edu.gh.
Only shortlisted applicants would be contacted.
Applications should reach the Registrar not later than the close of day on Monday, 9th March, 2020.
3rd February, 2020.