What Is Food?
Food Is a substance consisting essentially of protein, carbohydrate, fat, and other nutrients used in the body of an organism to sustain growth and vital processes and to furnish energy. The absorption and utilization of food by the body is fundamental to nutrition and is facilitated by digestion.
What Is Food Made Of?
Food is made up of many different chemical components or parts, including vitamins, minerals, sugars, fibres, water, lipids, proteins and starches.
What Are 3 Types Of Food?
The three main types of foods are energy-giving foods, body-building foods, and protective foods.
- Energy-giving foods: They are made of carbohydrates and fats. Carbohydrates provide us with instant energy, while fats are stored as energy resources.
- Body-building foods: Proteins are considered to be body-building foods as they help in body growth and also help in repairing damaged parts of the body.
- Protective foods: Protective foods are mainly vitamins and minerals since they protect us from many diseases. They give us resistance to disease-causing germs.
What Can We Say About Food?
Delicious meals are tasty, appetizing, scrumptious, yummy, luscious, delectable, mouth-watering, fit for a king, delightful, lovely, wonderful, pleasant, enjoyable, appealing, enchanting, charming. You wouldn’t call delicious that what is tasteless or unpleasant.
What Are Main Sources Of Food?
Plants and animals are the main source of food for all the organisms on earth. Food obtained from animals is the main source of protein and include fish, milk, meat, poultry, and cheese. Whereas plants provide us with fruits and vegetables, which are an important source of fibres, proteins and carbohydrates.
How Food Works In Our Body?
Glands in your stomach lining make stomach acid and enzymes that break down food. Muscles of your stomach mix the food with these digestive juices. Pancreas. Your pancreas makes a digestive juice that has enzymes that break down carbohydrates, fats, and proteins.
The Importance Of Food:
- Food helps in building our immune system stronger.
- A strong immune system helps to fight diseases.
- Food provides us with several nutrients like vitamins, carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, etc.
- These different components of food serve different functions. For example, proteins help in maintaining normal body weight.
- Food provides us energy through the breakdown of glucose. It makes us feel active throughout the day.
- Food helps in repairing damaged cells.
- Food balances the hormones in our bodies.
- Healthy foods like spinach, lemon, etc. may help to increase our metabolism.
- Food maintains the proper growth of our bodies.
- Our favourite foods can also help in relieving our mental stress.
Why Healthy Food Is Important?
A healthy diet is essential for good health and nutrition. It protects you against many chronic noncommunicable diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Eating a variety of foods and consuming less salt, sugars and saturated and industrially-produced trans-fats, are essential for healthy diet.
Food Prices In Ghana:
|Milk (regular), (1 liter)||15.15 ₵|
|Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g)||8.59 ₵|
|Rice (white), (1kg)||13.36 ₵|
|Eggs (regular) (12)||13.91 ₵|
|Local Cheese (1kg)||76.89 ₵|
|Chicken Fillets (1kg)||33.27 ₵|
|Beef Round (1kg) (or Equivalent Back Leg Red Meat)||35.31 ₵|
|Apples (1kg)||20.17 ₵|
|Banana (1kg)||10.65 ₵|
|Oranges (1kg)||11.34 ₵|
|Tomato (1kg)||15.62 ₵|
|Potato (1kg)||17.47 ₵|
|Onion (1kg)||13.95 ₵|
|Lettuce (1 head)||7.61 ₵|