DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
- Offer of Limited Scholarships for Outstanding Applicants
Regional Water and Environmental Sanitation Centre Kumasi (RWESCK) is seeking applications from national and international applicants into PhD and MSc programmes for the academic year. Exceptional applicants who present innovative research proposals at selection interview will be offered limited scholarship from the World Bank Africa Centres of Excellence Project (ACE Impact). This funding will cease after 2021 admission so take advantage of this opportunity and apply. Qualified applicants who do not get RWESCK funding can opt for FEE-PAYING option.
RWESCK scholarship package covers tuition fees and Research grant. Females are encouraged to apply for the funding opportunities available. To apply for scholarship, click the link below to download scholarship application form (go to RWESCK website: rwesck.org). RWESCK aims to develop high calibre early-career researchers and human capacity who are industry-ready with practical innovations and entrepreneurial skills to address African developmental challenges related to water resources management, climate resilience, water supply and environmental sanitation.
- PhD Programme
PhD applicants are to select interested specialisations at the Department of Civil Engineering:
- PhD Water Resources Management
- PhD Water Supply and Treatment Technologies
- PhD Environmental Sanitation and Waste Management
PhD applicants are required to submit a five (5) page research proposal on one topic in the area of specialisation shown below. Shortlisted applicants will be required to make an oral presentation at a competitive selection interview.
|PhD Water Resources Management
|Computational Flow Dynamic simulations for Climate-resilient urban stormwater management and runoff reduction,Climate-resilient and contamination prevention in urban water management using Isotopes and aquifer recharge simulationsClimate resilient hydrological modelling for water resources management
|PhD Water Supply and Treatment Technologies
|Managing non-revenue water in community piped water distribution systems using Computational Flow Dynamic simulations and Robotics applications, Optimizing conditions for improved performance of polyelectrolytes in conventional water treatment schemes. Development of polymer and zeolite membrane-based packaged water purification system for remediation of fluoride and toxic heavy metals from community drinking water, Photocatalysis and surface functionalization of polymeric nanomembranes and functional regeneration nanomembranes
|PhD Environmental Sanitation and Waste Management
|Development of sanitation technology prototypes for waste recovery and value-added products production, Development of polymer and zeolite membrane-based packaged water purification system for wastewater remediationArtificial Intelligence and data analytics innovative sanitation technology for waste treatment and resource recovery management,
In conformity with the entry requirement of the School of Graduate Studies, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, applicants must have a minimum of:
- First or Second Class (Upper Division) in first degree
- Good Master’s degree in Water and Sanitation, Environmental Engineering, Agricultural Engineering (Soil and Water Engineering option), Civil Engineering (Water Resources/Hydrology option), Geomatic Engineering, Natural Resources, Mathematics, Geography, Chemical Engineering and other relevant disciplines, with an average of at least 60%.
- Candidates from non-Anglophone countries must have an internationally recognised Certificate of Proficiency in the English Language (TOEFLor British Council,IELTS) with above average score
- Candidates with one publication in a journal as first author have an advantage.
- Evidence of current and previous employments.
- Masters Programme (MSc.)
Apply for RWESCK Graduate Programme in the following specialisations:
- MSc Water Resources Engineering and Management
- MSc Water Supply and Environmental Sanitation
In conformity with the entry requirement of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, applicants must have a minimum of:
- First or Second Class (Upper Division) in first degree in fields such as Civil Engineering (Water Resources/Hydrology option), Water and Sanitation, Environmental Engineering, Agricultural Engineering (Soil and Water Engineering option), Natural Resources, Geology, Chemical Engineering and other relevant disciplines,
- Candidates from non-Anglophone countries must have an internationally recognised Certificate of Proficiency in the English Language (TOEFLor British Council,IELTS) with above average score.
MSc and PhD Application Supporting Documents
- MSc and PhD applicants must submit detailed CV and two letters of reference (one from your supervisor at the Masters), Official transcripts and certificates for BSc and MSc degrees, and Proof of ability to communicate in English for applicants from non-Anglophone countries.
- MSc and PhD applicants must submit soft and hard copies of a letter of motivation (max. two pages) outlining why you want to study, what makes you well-suited to study in your chosen specialisation, current occupation, how the programme will fit into your professional vision, how your home country stands to benefit after your training.
- PhD applicants are to submit both soft and hard copies of a short research proposal on the themes above (max. 6 pages) outlining the justification, objectives, methodology and expected outcomes of a research idea. Applicants are expected to make oral presentation of the proposed research and their capacity to undertake the research at selection interview.
- Completing Application Form
MSc/PhD Application Form
Candidates may apply directly to the KNUST Graduate School and send soft copies to RWESCK.
- Ghanaian Students: Purchase the e-voucher and access the KNUST application form via www.knust.edu.gh
Hard copies of application form should be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies, KNUST by 20th August.
Purchase the e-voucher based information provided at http://www.knust.edu.gh/admissions/prospective-students/pgadmissions
Proceed to http://admissions.knust.edu.gh/pgadmissionsnew/ and complete the relevant application documents,
Soft copies of the signed application form and other relevant documents should be sent by email to email@example.com by 31st July.
Access the KNUST application form via http://admissions.knust.edu.gh/pgadmissionsnew/foreign.php
Register with your email and check your email inbox for password to login.
Login and complete application form and upload scanned recent passport-size picture
Post copy of the printed online application together with transcripts and two passport photo and all supporting documents to:
School of Graduate Studies
- Submit the signed application form, and supporting documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org,
RWESCK will shortlist applicants for a competitive selection interview in Kumasi OR via telephone/zoom. The date of the interview will be communicated after shortlisting.
All PhD and MSc programmes are National and internationally accredited by AQAS, Germany.