University of Ghana – Appointment of Registrar
CHECK: 2021/2022 Admission And Recruitment In Ghana
ATTENTION: Win Airtime And GHS 50 By Watching Our Videos .
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the position of REGISTRAR, which will become vacant on 1st August 2021.
The University of Ghana was established in 1948 to provide higher education, undertake research, disseminate knowledge and to foster relationships with outside persons and bodies. The University of Ghana has a student population of almost 50,000 and employees numbering approximately 6,000, made up of academic and senior administrative employees, as well as other support staff.
The Registrar is the Chief Operating Officer under the Vice-Chancellor and in accordance with policy directives of the Council, is responsible for the day to day operations of the University. The Registrar is also secretary to the Office of the Chancellor, the University Council and the Academic Board. S/he provides strategic advice and briefings to the Vice-Chancellor and is expected to provide leadership and management across a wide range of activities.
Qualifications and Experience:
Applicants must have the following:
a. must have at least a Master’s Degree in a relevant field with not less than 15 years post-qualification experience in an institution of higher education and at the grade of Deputy Registrar.
b. Senior management experience in a large, complex and decentralized organization, preferably in an academic institution.
And in addition, have
i. strong intellect with excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
ii. a deep appreciation of the academic working environment;
iii. an understanding of the history and evolution of universities, local higher education policy and practice;
iv. considerable experience in dealing with variety of internal and external publics.
• Must be of unblemished character and have a high degree of personal integrity;
• Must have mature and sober judgement;
• Must possess excellent inter-personal and communication skills, and must be a team player;
• Must be principled with strong and proven sense of public morality and integrity.
Terms of Appointment
• To be determined by Council consistent with the University’s Act and Statutes.
Mode of Application
Candidates are to submit an application letter and completed application form: UAB 1C to which should be attached the following:
(i) Curriculum Vitae, including names and addresses of three (3) referees who can attest to the qualities sought.
(ii) A short vision statement (not more than 5 pages) outlining how the applicant would respond to the University of Ghana Mission and Vision Statements during his/her tenure as Registrar. The UG strategic plan can be downloaded at: http://www.ug.edu.gh/pad/publication/ug-strategic-plan.
Applications (Hard Copy) are to be submitted directly to:
Search Committee for Registrar
c/o Office of the Vice-Chancellor
University of Ghana
P. O. Box LG 25
Further information about the University of Ghana may be found on the University website at www.ug.edu.gh.
A copy of this advertisement with further details regarding the position, can be found under Employment Opportunities (Quick links) at the University of Ghana website: www.ug.edu.gh.
The application form UAB 1C together with a profile of the University of Ghana can be found at the University’s website: https://www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Monday, 30th November, 2020.
EXCERPTS FROM THE BASIC LAWS OF THE UNIVERSITY
(1) The University Council shall appoint a Registrar for the University.
(2) The Registrar shall hold office on the terms and conditions specified in the letter or appointment in accordance with the Statutes of the University.
(3) The Registrar is the secretary to the
(a) Office of the Chancellor,
(b) Council, and
(c) Academic Board.
(4) The Registrar is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the affairs of the University.
(5) The Registrar shall be the Chief Operating Officer of the University under the Vice-Chancellor.
(6) The Registrar may perform any other functions provided for in Statutes enacted by Council.
(7) Prior to the assumption of office, the Registrar shall swear the oath of office as prescribed in the Constitution and modified in the Schedule to this Act which shall be administered by the Chancellor.
Source: University of Ghana Act 2010, Act 806
The Registrar and Registrary
- Pursuant to section 20 of the Act, the Council shall appoint a Registrar who shall be the Chief Operating Officer of the University and shall, in that capacity, be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the University under the Vice-Chancellor and in accordance with the policy directives of the Council.
- Without prejudice to the generality of subsection 1 of this Statute, the duties and responsibilities of the Registrar shall include the following:
a) the preparation of student registration and admission materials, the maintenance of both soft and hard copies of such materials and overseeing the process of registration;
(b) the preparation of the academic calendar, class schedules, time-tables, grade sheets and the distribution of semester reports;
(c) the initiation of final graduation plans, the tabulation of classes and the award of honours;
(d) the coordination of matriculation and congregation procedures and ceremonies;
(e) the maintenance of students’ academic records on a permanent basis;
(f) being secretary to the Chancellor, the Council, the Academic Board, the Business and Executive Committee and the standing committees of the Academic Board and keeping records and conducting correspondence on their behalf; and
(g) the preparation and presentation of an annual report to the Council and the Academic Board on the operations of the Registrar during the previous year within six months of the end of the year.
- The Registrar shall be a member of the Academic Board.
- The Registrar may resign from office in writing addressed to the Chairperson of Council.
- The provisions on the removal of the Vice-Chancellor shall apply to the removal of the Registrar from office.
- In the event of a vacancy, the Council shall after consideration of a report from a joint committee of the Council and the Academic Board appointed in the manner prescribed in Statute 5 appoint a Registrar on terms and conditions determined by, Council.
- For the avoidance of doubt, the Registrar shall have the right of audience in the meetings of all University bodies, whether he is a member or not.
- The Registrar shall be assisted in the execution of the functions of his office by such number of officers as the University shall appoint on the recommendations of the Appointments Board and in accordance with these Statutes. The terms and conditions of the officers as well as their specific duties and responsibilities shall be specified in the instruments of appointment.
- Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the following officers shall operate under and be responsible to the Registrar in the performance of their duties and responsibilities and together with the Registrar shall constitute the Registrary:
(a) College Registrars (Secretaries);
(b) Director of Academic Affairs;
(c) Director of Finance;
(d) Director of Health Services;
(e) Director of Human Resource and Organisational Development;
(f) Chief Information Technology Officer;
(g) Director of Internal Audit;
(h) Director of Physical Development and Municipal Services;
(i) Director of Public Affairs;
(j) Director of Sports;
(k) Legal Counsel; and
(l) Such other officers as the Vice-Chancellor may determine.
- The Registrar shall cause to be published quarterly all policy decisions of Council and the Academic Board.
- The Registrar may delegate in writing to a senior member the performance of a function vested in the Registrar by the Act or these Statutes.
Source: Statutes of the University of Ghana