Vacancy for Senior Level Administrative Position: Chief Information Technology Officer
The University of Ghana, hereby, invites applications from suitably qualified persons for the position of Chief Information Technology Officer/Director, Information Technology to take effect from 1st August, 2021.
CHECK: 2021/2022 Admission And Recruitment In Ghana
ATTENTION: Win Airtime And GHS 50 By Watching Our Videos .
POSITION: Chief Information Technology Officer (Director, University of Ghana Computing Systems)
REPORTING TO: Pro Vice-Chancellor, Research Innovation and Development
The Chief Information Technology Officer (CITO) will be responsible for coordinating with stakeholders, formulation and implementation of the University’s IT strategy and ensure that all systems necessary to support the operations and objectives of the IT strategies of the university are in place. The person must have strong technical, administrative and managerial backgrounds to oversee operations and motivate a team of IT managers and staff under the directorate. The CITO must be able to develop and implement new IT systems and policies to support the University’s operations of teaching and learning and research within the limits of the budget and strategic priorities of the University.
Strategic Management & Administration
• Provide strategic and tactical planning, development, evaluation, and coordination of the information and technology systems for the University including all its Colleges, campuses and Regional Learning Centres.
• Accountable for the management of multiple information and communications systems and projects and ensure the continuous delivery and operation of integrated systems to support teaching, learning, research and administrative information systems.
• Responsible for coordination, facilitation, and consultation with all University management staff on information and communications technology and business systems initiatives.
• Proactively liaise with other members of University’s senior management teams at the central administration and at college level in developing and executing strategic plans to optimize the use of information technology in support of teaching, learning, research and administrative activities of the University.
• Participate in policy and decision making at executive management level regarding resource allocation and future direction and control of proposed information systems.
• Provide oversight responsibilities for the development of policies, programmes and schedules including privacy and security oversight for academic, administrative and financial information processing and computer services to meet the University of Ghana’s goals and objectives.
• Develop, direct and manage all computing and information technology strategic plans of the University.
• Advise Senior Management of the University on strategic systems conversions and integration in support of institutional goals and objectives and oversee to the development of the University’s technology investments.
• Oversee to the design and facilitate integration of sound IT architecture, technology and standards, and best practices for the University of Ghana.
• Ensure the identification and installation of appropriate IT infrastructure and services to support administrative functions and enhance teaching, learning and research.
• Interact with senior decision makers on internal and external operations that are impacted by the capture, storage, processing and dissemination of information.
• Develop, coordinate, guide and maintain strategic IT systems and operational plans in support of the overall University mission and strategy. These plans will define a vision for meeting current and future information and technology needs for the University, while ensuring alignment and integration of IT with the overall mission and values of the University.
• Develop and maintain enterprise systems architecture, define standards and protocols for data exchange, software, and interconnectivity of network information systems.
• Participate as an integral member in the strategic planning process of the University.
• Provide advice on evaluation, selection, implementation and maintenance of information systems, ensure appropriate investment in strategic and operational systems.
• Lead the effort to negotiate all IT acquisition contracts, solicit involvement and participation of other management team members as appropriate.
• Provide responsive advice, counsel, education and service to the University concerning IT issues and trends in the IT industry.
• Communicate IT plans, policies and technology trends throughout the organization, including management groups and professional staff.
• Determine pertinent information required by management in making effective decisions and ensure that the gathering, processing, distribution and use of this information occurs in a timely, accurate and cost-effective manner through on-going review and education programmes at executive, management and user levels.
• Promote and oversee relationships between the University’s IT resources and external entities (e.g. government, vendors, researchers, auditors, and other organizations).
• Approve, coordinate, and control all projects related to selection, acquisition, development, and installation of major information systems for the University.
• Develop and maintain corporate IT policies and standards relating to the acquisition, implementation, and operation of information and communication technology systems.
• Negotiate IT service level agreements with user organizations and monitor IT systems performance to assure service levels are being met.
• Research and evaluate alternatives for the enhancement or re-engineering of IT systems required to support activities of the University.
• Develop, coordinate and manage the incorporation of enhancements to and re-engineering of University systems, in keeping with the needs and objectives of the University.
• Provide quality service to end users in needs analysis, solution recommendation, vendor selection, implementation, training, and post-installation support.
• Ensure that enterprise information systems operate according to internal standards, external regulatory standards, and legal requirements.
• Develop and enforce policy and procedures to ensure the protection of the University’s IT assets and the integrity, security and privacy of information maintained by the University.
• Develop and maintain a University-wide business recovery plan to ensure timely and effective restoration of IT services in the event of a disaster.
• Play an active role in the recruitment, development, motivation and retention of staff of the University of Ghana Computing Systems. This shall be accomplished through the consistent practice of sound human resource management concepts, thereby achieving teamwork, employee security, mutual respect, maintenance of the highest level of professionalism and a stake in the University’s success.
• Ensure that appropriate training programmes are in place to attract, retain and develop the key personnel required to support information services.
• Develop and maintain the annual operating and capital budgets for University information and technology systems operations. Responsible for monitoring IT activities and costs as related to the overall utilization of resources required to meet operational requirements.
• Maintain contact with IT suppliers and maintain knowledge of current technology, equipment, prices and terms of agreements to optimize the investment required to meet established service levels. Evaluate alternatives, perform appropriate cost benefit analysis, and recommend solutions that minimize costs commensurate with acceptable risks.
• Review the University’s hardware and software acquisition and maintenance contracts, solicit involvement and participation of other management team members as appropriate. Develop, where appropriate, proposals for the purchasing or leasing of hardware, software, maintenance and telecommunication services to ensure continuous functionality of the University’s IT systems.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The applicant must have:
a) A good first degree and a Masters’ Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Electronic Engineering or a related field.
b) Qualification in Management Information Systems, Business Management and/ Administration from an accredited and recognised institution.
c) A minimum of ten (10) years progressive experience in administration and management role or executive leadership position with emphasis on prior experience leading an enterprise-wide system implementation and can demonstrate experience in collaborating with corporate subsidiaries, divisions and departments.
d) Professional certification in ITSM, PMP, CISSP, CGEIT or chartered engineer, or related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes
• An accomplished relationship builder, with strategic thinking capabilities and the ability to solve complex problems.
• Effective leadership skills with expertise in the areas of interpersonal relations, planning, collaboration and issue analysis.
• Working knowledge of technologies and tools, enterprise systems and their applications; network systems and applications; relational data base systems, and application software and integration.
• Understanding of business processes and operations, college-level academic environment and the possibilities and limits of technologies.
• Working knowledge of systems security and audit.
• Working knowledge of grants and contracts, budgeting, resource management processes, operational effectiveness principles and decision-making tools.
• Excellent project management skills.
• Ability to communicate well with stakeholders at all levels.
• Excellent planning, organising and presentation skills.
• Ability to lead and work as part of a team, be solution orientated, proactive and motivated with good time management skills.
• Excellent people management skills (coaching, mentoring, performance management).
• Demonstrated ability to create an environment that provides constituent-centered technology services and support.
• Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to effectively communicate in business terms, articulate measurable business outcomes, motivate people and handle leadership challenges professionally.
The person appointed as Chief Information Technology Officer/Director of Information Technology shall hold office for a period of four years and is eligible for re-appointment, subject to the usual terms and conditions of employment.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
An applicant is required to submit the complete application pack to the Registrar, University of Ghana, P. O. Box LG 25, Legon, Accra, Ghana (Hardcopy) or email@example.com (Soft Copy).
The application pack should contain the following:
i. Completed application form for Senior Level Administrative Positions (UAB Form 1C) to be downloaded from the University’s website at www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd.
ii. An up to date Curriculum Vitae and copies of relevant academic and professional certificates.
iii. A statement of about 2,500 words (not more than five pages) indicating how one intends to use the period in office to address relevant issues that will ensure that the College and the University achieves its mission and vision. The UG strategic plan can be downloaded at: http://www.ug.edu.gh/pad/publication/ug-strategic-plan.
Applications should reach the Registrar not later than the close of day on Monday, 23rd November, 2020.